The beans were soaked from afternoon until just before bedtime. Then everything was tossed in the crock and they cooked on low all night and through the morning. They were ready at late lunch time.
Winner, Loser or Meh
These were very good. Not having had the original, I can't make an informed comparison, but I loved these! They were so soft and tender. The sausage was just okay - not my fav. I can't tell how much the Boca sausage added to the flavor of the bean gravy. Uncle Meat & Potatoes, a major bean lover, enjoyed these very much as well.
I used a 6 quart crock for this
- 1 lb dried black eyed peas
- 6 cups water
- 1 Tbls white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbls brown sugar
- 1.5 ounces imitation bacon bits (about 1/2 a jar)
- 8 oz package of Boca meatless breakfast links, cut into chunks
- Kosher salt to taste, about 2 tsps
- 2 Tbls butter or margarine