Mother Unit sent in yet another "must make this into a crock pot version" stove top recipe. So far, she has not been wrong, yet. The original stove top version had more steps than an episode of Dancing with the Stars. I needed a nap after reading it. In my universe, anything with that many steps is either a crock in the making or it will never get made. So this is my crock pot adaption of Cynthia's stove top adaptation of Rhona Stoneback's Best Mushroom Barley Soup. This adaptation has only two steps and requires no rhythm. Any naps are entirely optional and most certainly not needed. Promise.
Winner, Loser or Meh
Hearty, flavorful, and stoupy thick. It tastes high calorie and it is not. This was so good I did a two step in my kitchen after the first bite. With this performance, I don't think I will get voted off this week. Winner!
I used a 4 quart crock for this but anything 4 quart or above would work.
- 1 cup raw pearl barley, rinsed, drained
- 7 cups vegetable stock (boxed is okay, too, just watch the salt)
- 1 tsp salt (watch the salt if your stock has sodium, mine doesn't)
- generous amount of ground pepper
- 3-4 Tbls dry sherry (I used 4)
- 3-4 Tbls soy sauce (I used 4)
- 3 Tbls butter or oil (I used butter)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (I used Christopher's jarred)
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled, diced
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced and diced (I used brown)