This entire huge batch is several cans worth of commercially prepared beans and tastes much better. The total cost: $2.48 for the entire pot. I get all rummy inside just thinking about it.
Winner, Loser or Meh
This was very good. It took every bit of the 12 hours at the tail end of the suggested cooking time. I got up early in the morning, after soaking the beans all night, to accomodate the 1 1/2 hour cook on high, and then set the timer for the full 12 hours, before leaving for work. I was famished having to wait so long for dinner. I suggest making this the day before you want to eat it, and taking the lid off in the last half hour to let some of the moisture evaporate. This will get nothing but better as it sits for a day before reheating.
I used a 6 quart crock for this.
- 1 pound navy beans (small white beans)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (dark grade)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 dashes mint
- 1 yellow onion, peeled, end chopped
- 4 whole cloves, stuck into the bottom of the onion
- 1/2 cup butter or (margarine for vegans)
- liquid smoke to taste (optional, use sparingly)