Winner, Loser, or Meh
This was and is delicious. It's going in my holiday gift packages, along with previously made Apple Butter, Pumpkin Butter, and goodies to come in the next two weeks. It filled, exactly, 14 half pint jars.
This barely fit into a 6 quart crock pot and can easily be halved and still made in a 6 quart crock pot.
- 4 jumbo sized shallots or 8 small ones, peeled, chopped
- 3 large oranges, zest only, zest then cut into 1/2 inch strands (use a zester that yields longer thicker strands)
- 3 12 ounce bags cranberries
- 3 pounds tart apples, unpeeled, cored, finely diced (I used Granny Smith's)
- 2 pounds dark brown sugar
- 1 cup dried apricots, diced
- 3 inch ginger chunks, peeled, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cloves
- 3/4 tsp allspice
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
OR Immediately pour into clean half pint canning jars, cover with new lids that have been simmering in hot water, tighten with bands and process, fully covered, in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Remove from bath with jar lifter and let cool on the counter overnight. As the jars cool, you should hear a popping sound as the lids vacuum seal. Check lids in the morning to make sure they are sucked down and do not pop up and down.